Sunday, September 7

RIPPED

This morning I started reading a book by Paul Auster. On Sunday morning I like to wake up slow with Paul. Before I could start reading his text, my attention was drawn to a small message on the inside cover. “Note” it said. “If you purchased this book without a cover you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as “unsold and destroyed” to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this “stripped book.” First I checked again to see if my book had a cover, and this was the case. Then I thought: is there someone going around in New York ripping off covers? Is there a secret delight in not reading the book, but taking the cover home? Did this person have a love affair with Paul Auster, and is ripping off his covers a way of getting back at him? Did she yell at him and say: "I’ll strip all your books if you don’t leave your wife?" And who reported them as unsold and destroyed? So many mysteries.