Monday, June 15

LUXURY

Today I ate hazelnut icecream and pizza at the pool. It’s too hot to sit in the sun, even if I desperately need a tan. The waiter and the poolboy look at me but they don’t speak. I read newspapers that other people left behind, old news that never was important anyway. The waiter brings me orange juice and dates upon request, he even hands me a clean towel if I ask for it. So money can’t buy happiness but luxury comes pretty close. I swim with the old and retired people; some of them look like they never had a laugh. My desires are still there but I would say I suffer less. I’m starting to accept whatever comes my way; pain, beauty, happiness. Not wanting anything to change means that I’m free at any given time. From the pool I can see Mount Etna, and it’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen.