Monday, August 24

CHILDREN

‘Do you have children?,’ the lady at the supermarket asked.
I contemplated her question for a while. It might have been a refreshing change from: ‘Do you save airmiles?’ or ‘Do you have a customercard?' I imagined that from now on I would be having intimate dialogue at the supermarket, that complete strangers would ask me: 'Do you use contraception?' Or : 'Are your parents still alive?' That you could discuss life, death and reincarnation at the checkout or while waiting for your bread. It’s so much easier to trust a stranger than your closest friend.
‘I’m sorry, I don’t have children,’ I answered. Of course I was sorry I didn’t have children. Was this the information she was aiming at? ‘But I do have a lot of nephews and nieces.’
‘Okay,’ she said, obviously glad with my answer. ‘I can give you three frisbees if you want.’
So now I have three frisbees which I got for free. The only thing that I don’t understand is: why didn’t she ask if I liked playing frisbee?