Tuesday, April 16

MARRY ME


In January I got two marriage proposals, which was a bit more than the month before. My Italian friend and I were having dinner at a department store, where I had just finished a greasy salad. I do not consider department stores very romantic, but perhaps my friend thought otherwise. He smiled, took my hand and said: “Margot, I would like you to come home with me, as my wife.” It sounded like a decision that was already made, all I had to do was nod. His home would be my home, I would live in a sunny area and turn into a pet. Maybe I wouldn’t mind being someone’s possession, my weaknesses could suddenly become my strengths. My friend caressed my fingers while other people stared at us. It felt like being given the choice between independence and security; an impossible choice to make.