Friday, November 8

YEAR OF YES

Ever since the book market crashed, it seems to be fashionable to write about doing something special during a year. These books are almost like reality shows, they’re true stories and apparently appeal to what one wants to read. There is a book called ‘The Year of Living Biblically’ and ‘The Year of Saying Yes’, about a woman who says yes to anyone and anything. I bought the book ‘The Year of Living Biblically’ but haven’t finished reading it yet. It seems to be mainly about strange diets and facial hair. As for The Year of Saying Yes: more people have done this, so I thought about writing ‘The Year of saying No’, but something tells me it will mainly take place inside the house. There’s a book about living without the internet for a year, and how amazing and old-fashioned it is to write real letters using envelopes. Then there’s blogger Julie Powell, who cooked all of Julia’s Childs recipes during a year, which turned into a movie starring Meryl Streep. So I’m contemplating what to do next year. Since my family wants me to find a husband, it could be the year of dating older men. Or maybe they should be younger, I haven’t decided that yet.