Sunday, December 15

HEAVEN

Sometimes I imagine heaven will be like the new city hall. The entrance will be a made out of glass and white concrete. Inside will be a large counter, made out of marble, where some dark haired women are doing their paperwork. Their desks are clean and spacious, they only wear white clothes. The receptionist, a tall blonde, gives me a number and tells me to wait. Finally one of the dark haired women calls out my name. She turns around to file her paperwork and this is when I notice she has wings. ‘Have a seat,’ she says firmly, as I approach her desk. Her smile is so radiant, it almost hurts.
She glances at her paperwork and asks: 'So you are Margot Morgan?’ I nod and quickly take a seat.
There are a lot of notes, and there’s an evaluation form about my life. She takes the evaluation form and asks: ‘Were you able to bring light into the world?’ I hesitate before I reply. She continues and explains: ‘If you’ve hurt people intentionally you get minus ten points, if you’ve hurt people unintentionally you get minus five.’ She sharpens her pencil and smiles at me. I tell her I’ve tried to live a good life, that I wanted to bring joy into the world, that for me writing stories equaled happiness. She looks at me like she doesn’t believe me. ‘You’ve broken many hearts,’ she says while looking at her forms. I explain to her that my heart has been broken, that’s why I started breaking hearts. ‘I broke them by accident,’ I tell her.
‘That’s no excuse,’ she says. She then sums up the seven sins and asks me was I lustful, greedy, envious, or proud. Before I answer she tells me: ‘Your true enemy is the flesh, Margot. Your were given life to conquer your desires and make other people happy. Your senses are an optic illusion, I do hope you  realize that?’ ‘Yes, of course,’ I answer her.
She takes the evaluation form and gives it to a male colleague, who has even bigger wings than her. ‘Life confused me,’ I tell her, as if this statement will explain my sins. ‘Gabriel will process your id-card for heaven,’ she says. ‘However, due to your lustful behavior, it might expire within two years. You will then be reincarnated and sent back to planet earth.’
‘I thought there would be heaven and there would be hell, no one told me about the reincarnation part.’
She sighs, runs her fingers through her long dark hair and tells me: ‘Yes, that’s confusing, isn’t it? We will give you a booklet about heaven while you wait. Just remember, Virginia Woolf was right. Heaven is a place where you can read endlessly.’