Saturday, June 28

SIMPLE

Reading Henry David Thoreau ‘Where I lived and what I lived for,’ a classic which was first published in the 19th century. Thoreau is all in favor of a simple lifestyle and preaches a love of nature and simplicity. What he writes could be true, that we are sometimes imprisoned by our houses and not really housed by them, that all our material possessions only burden us, that we are not made to live between four walls. In other words: all our comfort only suffocates us. Thoreau wonders: "shall we always study to obtain more of these things, and not sometimes be content with less." And one of my favorite quotes: “ I had three pieces of limestone on my desk, but I was terrified to find that they required to be dusted daily, when the furniture of my mind was all undusted still, and I threw them out the window in disgust. How, then, could I have a furnished house? I would rather sit in the open air, for no dust gathers on the grass, unless where man has broken ground.”